- Information Technology Domain -
The ICT CyberSecurity Essentials course focuses on fundamentals of personal online security and safety. Students will define challenges and solutions of cybersecurity, including Internet and social media safety, cyber-ethics, and copyright issues. Students will also learn about threats to computer systems and ways to secure their computers. This course includes topics especially relevant to students, such as cyberbullying, sexting, online gaming, and risk mitigation for young or new users of online media.
After completing the ICT CyberSecurity Essentials course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of Internet safety practices and policies to help protect your identity, including social networking risks, mobile device issues, privacy and cybersafety practices to protect your personal information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Internet safety practices to combat risks related to online social and recreational activities, including cyberbullying, sexting, and online gaming.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical and legal issues related to content found on the Internet, including music and videos downloaded from the Internet, and guidelines for copyright and fair use.
- Demonstrate knowledge of security threats to computer systems (including common security threats, and viruses vs. malware), and perform countermeasures to secure a computer (including antivirus scans, strong passwords, and cybersafety techniques for protecting your computer when using the Internet).
Course Table of Contents
Lesson 1: Protecting Your Identity
- Protect Your Identity and Your Privacy
- Digital Footprint
- Social Networking Sites and Privacy
- Cybersafety Techniques
- Logging My Daily Schedule
- Lesson 1 QUIZ
- Safety and Revealing Too Much
Lesson 2: Safety Risks in Online Activities
- Managing Online Risks
- Online Gaming
- Creating a PSA to Raise Cyberbullying Awareness
- Creating a Video PSA to Raise Cyberbullying Awareness
- Analyzing Sexting Scenarios
- Lesson 2 QUIZ
Lesson 3: Legal and Ethical Issues of Internet Content
- Using Content from the Internet
- Presenting Fair Use Guidelines
- Analyzing Copyright Scenarios
- Lesson 3 QUIZ
Lesson 4: Protecting your Computer from Security Threats
- Securing your Computer
- Malware and Viruses
- Mobile Device Protection
- Strong Passwords
- Creating a Digital Bill of Rights
- Creating a CyberShield
- Lesson 4 QUIZ
- Security and Surfing the ‘Net
- Security and Avoiding P2P