- Communication Technology Domain -
The ICT Database Essentials course focuses on fundamentals of using relational databases. Students will learn about common database components including tables, record and field structures, and data types. They will learn about queries and how to create them. They will study data import/export mechanisms. They will learn the basics of Structured Query Language (SQL) statements for managing and manipulating data. Finally, they will use the skills they have learned to create basic database tables, data queries and data reports.
After completing the ICT Database Essentials course, students will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and uses of relational databases, including databases vs. spreadsheets, advantages of databases, real-world uses, and "Big Data."
- Identify database components and functions, including fields vs. records, basic data types, table vs. query, primary and foreign keys, table relationships, reports, Structured Query Language (SQL), and popular database applications.
- Create a database table and organize data in it, including multiple data types in a table, adding records, deleting records, editing records and sorting records.
- Manipulate and share data in a database, including troubleshooting errors, select queries, action queries, table joins, importing and exporting spreadsheet data, and creating reports.
Course Table of Contents
Lesson 1: What is a Database?
- Introduction to Databases
- Database Applications
- Big Data
- Developing Database Queries (Team)
Lesson 1 Quiz
Lesson 2: Designing a Database
- Database Basics
- Relational Databases: In Depth (Hands-on)
Lesson 2 Quiz
Lesson 3: Creating and Managing Database Tables
- Creating, Editing and Sorting Database Tables
- Working with Records
- Creating a Database
- Creating a Database (Hands-on)
- Access It! (Hnds-on)
- Access It! (Online)
Lesson 3 Quiz
Lesson 4: Manipulating and Sharing Data in a Database
- Troubleshooting Common Database Errors
- Creating Database Queries
- Creating Table Joins
- Importing and Exporting Data
- Creating Database Reports
- Creating a Query Using the Query Wizard
- Creating an Update Query
- Joining Tables
- Exporting Data from Access
- Importing Records
- Creating a Report
- Creating a Database Query (Hands-on)
- Creating a Multi-Table Query (Hands-on)
- Database Vocabulary Crossword (Hands-on)
- Creating a Database Report (Hands-on)
- Access Terms (Online)
- Access Tables & Queries (Online)
- Growing a Business