ICT for Individuals Overview
There are very few jobs these days that do not require some combination of technology skills. It is almost impossible to function in the 21st century without a basic knowledge of how technology works. Whether you need to learn the tools for working in an office or have been wanting to learn how to create a Website for your new business, ICT Essentials has a course or series of courses to help you reach your goals. Our ICT self-study courses have Online resources including click-through demonstrations where appropriate, activities and quizzes to perform self-assessments, and external resources to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the subject.
For the self-study student, ICT Essentials is a perfect introduction into Information, Communication and Media Technologies.
The Information Technology domain contains three courses:
- You will learn basic computing essentials.
- You will study the fundamentals of computers and their functionality.
- You will learn about hardware, software and computer networking.
- You will learn the fundamentals of personal Online security and safety.
- You will study the challenges and solutions of cybersecurity, including Internet and social media safety, cyber-ethics, and copyright issues.
- You will explore threats to computers systems and ways to secure your computer.
- You will learn fundamental programming concepts.
- You will study binary numbers, programming languages and ways to structure a program.
- You will explore problem-solving strategies, and learn about algorithms and programming errors.
- You will be introduced to structured programming, and you will work with variables and operators.
The Communication Technology domain contains four courses:
- You will learn communications essentials.
- You will learn the fundamentals of effective communications in a technological society.
- You will explore basic network functions and Internet connections.
- You will learn strategies for creating effective website content and will study the tools, practices, and etiquette needed for communicating effectively with e-mail.
- You will learn the fundamentals of using relational databases.
- You will explore common database components including tables, record and field structures, and data types.
- You will study the basics of Structured Query Language (SQL) statements for managing and manipulating data.
- You will learn the fundamentals of creating and using spreadsheets.
- You will study how to insert, format, copy, and move cell data, and format columns and rows.
- You will learn how to create tables and charts, and how to modify chart elements according to the spreadsheet data.
- You will be introduced to functions, formulas, and conditional formatting.
- You will learn the fundamentals of using common word-processing application software.
- You will study how to use the application to create new documents, and to add and edit content.
- You will use application tools to design a document's look-and-feel by manipulating page layout, fonts, styles, and images.
- You will learn how to create text structures that make content easier to read and understand, including tables, and bulleted and numbered lists.
- You will learn to collaborate on word-processing projects by editing and sharing documents.
The Media Technology domain contains three courses:
- You will learn the fundamentals of interactive computer game creation.
- You will study the design process for creating a gaming program, including criteria and constraint identification, content research and storyboard creation.
- You will study computer programming concepts that are essential to game development, including program flow modeling, program code creation, and result evaluation and modification practices.
- You will learn fundamental multimedia skills, including how to use presentation software, graphics software, and other digital and multimedia tools.
- You will create a slide presentation with titles, text, and images.
- You will learn how to use transitions, animation, and sound in the presentation.
- You will study graphics topics including vector and bitmap images, file formats, and terms related to the creation of graphical images.
- You will learn how to use graphics software tools to create, enhance, and modify and images.
- You will create a multimedia presentation that incorporates edited video, animation and sound, that demonstrates good design, smooth transitions, and effective message delivery.
- You will learn the fundamentals of designing websites.
- You will study how to identify elements of a webpage, and will evaluate the aesthetics and functionality of websites.
- You will explore the steps in the web design process, such as determining website purpose, goals, and target audience, and planning the site content, structure and navigation.
- You will also explore web authoring tools.
- You will be introduced to the technical aspects of the Internet and the World Wide Web.
- You will build a website using a GUI web editor, and you will create webpages that include audio, video, and animation.
- You will learn how to prepare your websites for publishing.
- You will learn about web hosting services, domain names, uploading files, implementation issues (bandwidth, compression, streaming) and collaboration tools (wikis, blogs).
Registered Apprenticeships & Workforce Development
The ICT Essentials Suite is perfect for those looking to enter into a Registered Apprenticeship program or those looking to obtain updated technology skills training for workforce development. ICT Essentials is perfect for anyone who is new to the workforce, returning to the workforce, unemployed, underemployed, or those who desire to change careers. The technology skills obtained from each ICT Essentials course are crucial to virtually every job in the marketplace, regardless of industry or level. With ICT Essentials, learning valuable technology skills has never been easier.